June 19, 2008

Crazy Market in ChiChicastenango







From Chickens to blankets, fruits and souvenir, ChiChi is one of the biggest markets in Guatemala. Also a great place to experience the true lifestyle of the Mayans. So it is! We got lost for several hours threw the dense alleys. The market takes over the entire town. We didn't even know how we would drive back out!
It offers great photo opportunity but in Guatemala, taking photographs isn't an easy task. Either the people want money to take their photos or you get beans thrown in your face like I got one time trying to take a shot!
With a little undercover work, you can sometimes manage to get the shot you want. But watch those beans coming at you!

After trying hard to bargain for a new hammock ( need a new one since I left mine to our friends in Belize ) I'm usually good at wheel and dealing but here was hard! They didn't like my offer. They usually run at 225 Quetzales aound $30 ~ way too much for us ~ we paid $15 in Mexico ~
My price was 100 Q ... 150 Q is the lowest they would go, but my trick is to only have the money you want to pay and show then you don't have more. It almost worked, lady thought about it.... but didn't go for it.
Tired of the madness it was time to hit the road. between El Salvador and Nicaragua... I'm sure I'll find my price.

No comments: