May 11, 2008

A day in High altitude, Orizaba 5747 meters Highest Volcano in North America










Ok this was honestly the hardest mountain I had ever been on in my life. It's not technical but it's at high altitude and I had never been higher than 13000 feet. Orizaba is over 18 000 feet, so a little harder for sure. Alain had been high like that before so he new what to expect. Victor's cousin Juan Pablo came with us to put some crosses on the summit he made for his mother that passed away a few years ago. It being mother's day this week end, it was good timing for him to have friends to go up with him. He was very strong on the climb and made to the summit first. Alain arrived shortly after him and I thought I was gonna die on the way up but 45 minutes later I joined them for the victory pic. I was suffering from head aches and I had a hard time breathing. I also thought I was gonna vomit at least 50 times but luckily I didn't. We had a hour break on the summit and tried to sleep a little to regain our strength for the way down. The way down was harder than I thought. It felt like it was never going to end. Around 4 pm all of us were at the hut looking back at what we had just accomplished. CAL & AL MISSION ORIZABA COMPLETE. I couldn't of been happier than that moment sitting down beside the truck. Now it's time to head back to civilization and drink some cerveza's. Corona's were on my mind. One hour later Al and I had our Victory cheers over a can of Corona. It doesn't tast the same as in a bottle but I couldn't care less.

No comments: